Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Womens' Empowerment Wednesdays : Meet Tamron Hall ... #BlackHistoryMonth

"Oh yes! How could I not be walking on cloud nine? Just the other day I was reading about Meredith Vieira being the first woman to host the primetime Olympic shows. Of course, I knew what was happening with my negotiations behind the scenes and I thought, wow, these big moments at NBC News and now I'm a part of this for women, for Black women, for all of us. And I'm just taken aback by it. I can't even describe to you how it feels."
- Tamron Hall, to ESSENCE on being the First Black woman to occupy that anchor seat.


I had someone else in mind for today, but when I heard of Tamron’s achievement… I had to revert back and make this post about her. Born in Luling, TX, Hall recalls having a conversation with her Dad as a child. She remembers the day her late father showed her Iola Johnson on TV, The first black anchor for a Dallas TV station.. “He said, that can be you”.
Receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree majoring in Broadcast Journalism (woo hoo! To us Comm majors) at Temple University, her first reporter position was general assignment at KBTX in Bryan/College Station, TX and then to KTVT in Dallas, Texas. From 1997- 2007, she worked at WFLD in Chicago. Since 2009, Hall has served as a substitute anchor for Keith Olbermann on Countdown with Keith Olbermann(MSNBC); several month running two-hour program with David Shuster called “The Big Picture”; and hosted her own series on Investigation Discovery called, “Deadline: Crime with Tamron Hall” – a weekly newsmagazine series that features two crime occurrences per episode with Hall and her investigative team digging deeper to uncover details on the who what when why and how of each case. Bitter sweetly, Tamron dedicates the series to the homicide of her older sister in 2004 which is still deemed unsolved.

{On a brighter note}, Most recently, Tamron made history Monday morning when she became the first black woman to co-anchor the ‘Today’ show.. which has been running since 1952 . When one of us wins, we all win. Go Tamron
!:

No comments:

Post a Comment