Monday, February 19, 2024

{Personal Post} PHOTOS: "New Balance Presents: Sounds of an Icon" Event

What 3 stacks say?  
DC got somethin to say.
-Dominick Adams/SOMEWHERE®  

New Balance partnered with Hypebeast and Chela Mitchell Gallery to deliver a celebration for the craftsmanship of New Balance, within D.C, through an interactive event- 
"New Balance Presents: Sounds of an Icon"

It featured a gallery exhibition focused on Dominick "Dom" Adams of SOMEWHERE®  along with a panel discussion of D.C's style evolution between he, Ian Callender/entrepreneur- arts enthusiast, and sneaker collector- podcaster Abdul Fouzi.  It focused on what we all know, but some fail to admit, the dominancy of New Balance in its mecca Washington D.C, the rise of the 990 shoe, and importance of local entrepreneurship in preserving D.C’s identity.

  As an old classmate of mine mentioned there, "even homeless people wear new balances here".   New Balance has been a sneaker staple in Washington D.C since the 1970s... literally.  Let's dig into how the event in the capital city turned out through my lens.

This was displayed as I got off the train, non- related to the exhibition.  Facts are facts.


As I walked in, Westside Gunn's 'Kitchen Lights' was playing.  To me?  destiny.  'Mint Chocolate' playing after?  They knew the vibeeeeees.


Actually, many of Westside's latest tracks were playing (including Hall & Nash 2) and I couldn't be happier.



Fire.  s.o. to Rich.  








As a plant lady, I couldn't help but admire the beautiful Monstera in the bathroom.


There was an installment of a D.C map.  Though it was missing a significant amount of D.C. the thought was pretty decent.



You could write your own place special to you and pin it on the map.



S.o. to the homies.  So many memories from past to present.  One of my favorite places in the world. 








SOMEWHERE® health drinks:
Yellow- Orange, Grapefruit, Lemon, Ginger & Granny Smith Apple.
Blue- Pineapple, Granny Smith Apple, Ginger & Blue Spirulina

I grabbed both.


Grabbed a Fiji too.






Met some cool peoples.  Check their brands out:


(L to R)- Dom Adams, Ian Callender, Abdul Fauzi

infrastructure...really stay rooted and valued here... is essential.
-Dom Adams



Far right is the moderator, a rep from Hypebae.  I missed her name trying to find somewhere to "see" with my 5'1 stature.  Tag her if you know.  She did an excellent job.


Speaking of excellent, the panel was just that.  Remarkable even.  Great great dialogue.  Relatable and inspiring.  Very engaging with the audience.  I could give quite a few more adjectives to describe this experience.  It was fantastic.
Kudos to them.


Something that's... just.. I can put on and be comfortable all day...
-Abdul Fauzi

It was a packed house.  Not even including all the people behind me on the back end.  The support and love was present.

Dave, account exec. at Hypebeast who helped pitch this project originally.



I was actually gearing up my camera to snap something else and found that I snapped this inadvertently instead in my camera roll.  I thought it came out pretty dope.  If you know her, tag her.  


It was beautiful, but I can assure you... it. was. COLD.  Twenty degrees and windy cold.

Again... you see it.  Just from a casual stroll.  Put some RESPECT on DC man when it comes to New Balance sh-t.  It is and has always been a lifestyle here.  

Grabbed some spring rolls before heading home.  Mmm mmm good.



Reminder.



It feels good to be home.


Fin.




No comments:

Post a Comment