Thursday, June 13, 2013

Kanye Gets Real w/ the NY Times in "Behind Kanye's Mask"...

…I haven’t won against one white person…


Location:  Malibu, CA
Interviewer:  Jon Caramanica/NY Times

[About the Grammys..] You want the historical record to be right.
Yeah, I don’t want them to rewrite history right in front of us.  At least, not on my clock.  I really appreciate the moments that I was able to win rap album of the year or whatever.  But after a while, it’s like: “Wait a second…this isn’t fair.  This is a setup”.  I remember when both Gnarls Barkley and Justin {Timberlake} lost for Album of the year, and I looked at Justin, and I was like “Do you want me to go onstage for you?  You know, do you want me to fight”

For You.
For what’s right.  I am so credible and so influential and so relevant that I will change things.  So when the next little girl that wants to be, you know, a musician and give up her anonymity and her voice to express her talent and bring something special to the world, and it’s time for us to roll out and say, “Did this person have the biggest thing of the year?”…that thing is more fair because I was there.

So no regrets?
I don’t have one regret.


On “Throne” who’s in a darker mood on that record, you or Jay-Z?

I’m always the one that’s in a darker mood.  And then also there was still a thing where I didn’t feel comfortable, you know, going on tour, the this, the that- all that by myself, yet, like I needed…

A buffer kind of.
I needed to connect with Jay.

Part of it was you wanting to have someone standing next to you and say “he’s cool.  Ye’s cool”
Yeah, even with the kilt on.


It gets deeper.  Read the full article HERE.


1 comment:

  1. The crazy thing about 'ye is not matter what you feel about him.. you have to respect the the unrestricted honesty and the realism, in an industry where its hard to find it... here is an artist that gives you every side of him and good bad ugly or otherwise and presents himself for his audience as he is ... not as he wants to be viewed the lesson to glean from that is that at the end of the day as people we want to be loved an accepted for the real... we put the masks on when we feel the real isn't good enough .. but he is a someone brave enough to say ... here I am ... genius asshole right or wrong .. this is me ...

    ReplyDelete