Monday, November 13, 2023

{Personal Post} PHOTOS- Spike Lee: Creative Sources Exhibit


First and foremost, let me say... can you believe I ran into thee Spike Lee there!?!?  I'll get to that.  
The "Spike Lee: Creative Sources" exhibit would be appreciated by any fan.  Almost every single solitary piece was sure to provoke thought or conversation.  You, also, realize from the range of autographed memorabilia here, just how much Spike is loved and important to our culture.  I am so glad he got to receive his flowers on this level while he can still smell them.  
Cause I know you got soul... Brothas and Sistaaas!
This is an extensive ride.  Buckle up.







Noodles?  Of course.


Ok, I have to tell this story before we enter.  I got upstairs to the exhibit and realized I should've gone to the bathroom beforehand.  I, also, noticed a spot on my hoodie that I needed to get out.  This is important to the story because it detoured me.  Once I did all of that and got back upstairs, I'm walking to the exhibit (checking out my hoodie to make sure that stain was out) and when I looked up... Spike Lee was walking towards me with a friend.  It was so unreal.  I'm stuck like is this really happening?  While we are walking past each other... he said Hey, How you doing? I said How you doing? and touched his arm while continuing to walk past.
Yo.  THAT WAS SPIKE LEE.


Let's go.





This specific scene was being played on a loop from the Malcolm X movie.

"Portrait of Toni Morrison" 
Tim Okamura
This piece was as stunning in person as it is in this photo.

Trayvon Martin, mixed media collage
Deborah Roberts

"What's Going On"
Sylvia Hernandez



"Spike & Son"
Antonello&Montesi

& Wife

& Father

& Mother and Grandmother

Grandmother and Mother again as adults

Fun fact.

 
& Siblings



Mission College


Special shoutout to this artist Lawrence "Naturel" Atoigue, hailing from Landover, MD.  1983


Michael E. Johnson/Unknown artist


{tag the artists}


Theoplis Smith III



first edition, 1937.



Legacy 40 Acres/Spike Lee Tribute Mural
DonIsDope
This piece took up the entire wall.  As a fan, it was a SIGHT to see.  
This photo does it absolutely no justice.  

You know there could not be a Spike exhibit without a Knicks shrine.

Patrick Ewing
King Overman


Gordon Parks


Hazel Scott
James Van Der Zee


Richard Avedon

Shirley Chisholm
Irving Penn

"James Brown at home in curlers"
Diane Arbus

a clip from "blacKkKlansman"
If you haven't seen this movie, watch it.















Rosie in Do the Right Thing.  Fight the Power was on loop in the next room.

Barron Claiborne



I was standing in this area for a while and couldn't help but notice there was something else rapping every word to the last verse with me.  It was a cool moment.
Don't worry be happy


"Optic Presentation Sizzles the Retina- Q-Tip Portrait Box"
Andrew J. Katz

"False Media- Public Enemy Portrait Box"
Andrew J. Katz

Prince
Robert Whitman



"Boy Behind the Mask of Michael Jackson"
Sarah Weaver


Jim Britt (top)

Prince Symbol and the trumpet used by Denzel Washington as Minifield 'Bleek' Gilliam in Mo' Better Blues.


Maria Primolan, "Prince Purple Rain"
Trumpets owned and signed by Terence Blanchard and Wynton Marsalis
Tenor saxophone owned by Branford Marsalis

Guitar owned by David Byrne
Bass guitar owned by Verdine White
Love Symbol Guitar owned by Prince

Spike Lee's Eye

Me too, Spike.  Me too.

David Lee

Zoom in.



Cards- The Topps Company, Inc.


Unknown Artist



He got game.



Hank Aaron
Ken Regan

If you know, you know.

"Investiture of Bishop Harold as the Duke of Franconia"
Kehinde Wiley

"Joe Louis 2"
Alexander Van Armstrong





Magic
King Overman

Tinker Hatfield, Designer

Unknown Artist


This room showed scenes from Do The Right Thing, Crooklyn, and Summer of Sam















I must say... Udon Lab hit even better this time than my last visit.  SO good.


Before I leave...


...grabbed a little treat.




I'll be back soon...






No comments:

Post a Comment