Wednesday, September 28, 2022

5 R&B Records that Could Have Been Gospel Songs


You ever have a record hit you with spirit out of the clear blue sky and realize it's not a Gospel song?  Like mid song... mid sing.  WHAM!  right in the chest.  Message!  The lyrics express a level of love that is immeasurable.  There are several that fit in this category and undoubtedly some I've never heard before.  I've compiled a list of 5 that hit every single time:


5.  He Is- Brandy
It's the only explanation to the question at hand.  Like years of pain, gone away, in a single day.  There's nothing that compares...
If there weren't key indicators like 'kiss on my lips' or the 'love you made with me' etcetera
floating in the lyrics, this right here is giving praises to the most high.  Also, to find Warryn Campbell wrote/produced this lets me know there could have been some gospel influence.



4.  Tennessee- Arrested Development
I know you're supposed to be my steering wheel, not just my spare tire...
It is obviously clear that Speech was rap/singing about the Lord as he refers to him throughout.  However, if you are only bopping to the beat and not listening to the lyrics...when you finally do, the song message may hit you by surprise.  This was, also, not played on gospel radio during the release so yea.  Even though, I'm quite sure in today's climate... it may have trickled some airplay on Praise104.  It fits on this list.  
Won't you help me!



3.  All the Man That I Need- Whitney Houston
He builds me up.  He gives me love.  More love than I've ever seen.  He's all I got.  He's all I got in this world but he's all the man that I need.
The record by itself has the referenced affect.  THIS version below though.  Whitney sang it with every fiber... and we all know how she felt about Jesus.  Took us straight to church.  I've never listened to this song the same.  sn: peep the cross in her ear



2.  I Know It's You- Donny Hathaway
I tell you there's nothing better, when there's no need to look.  Cause you know... who's there....
Donny's voice alone is filled with such soul.  The FEEL of every single second of this record puts this here.  If the lyrics were changed a little here and there, you would never know the difference.  He SANG this, ok?  I am unsure why, but the production reminds me of "God Is" by James Cleveland.  Whenever I realize the actual correlation I make between the two each time, I'll revisit this.  Anywho...
I ain't got, nobody else in mind.  I know... it's you.



1.  Because You Loved Me- Celine Dion
I know this is considered to fall into the pop genre, but Diane Warren's pen always births' r&b greatness, so I consider this record one too.  Don't debate me.  Every single, solitary bar, in this song and the way it's arranged and sung.  *Marvin Sapp praise gif. 




Are there any r&b records that you personally consider could be a gospel song?

editors note: the array of emotions I went through playing these songs while creating this post.



No comments:

Post a Comment